Photo by Brett Sayles: https://www.pexels.com/photo/pink-petaled-flowers-closeup-photo-992734/

I was born and raised in the lower mainland of British Columbia and have lived here all my life. I attended French Immersion public school from kindergarten through 12th grade. In the early grades, I struggled with reading in French and attended Learning Assistance sessions daily with a small group of peers. Although I didn’t mind the extra help, what bothered me was how my peers perceived me. Their judgment implied that needing academic support made me somehow less valuable as a person.

As a young child, navigating such attitudes was challenging. While my experience pales in comparison, reading Pinar’s Chapter 20 reminded me of my time in Learning Assistance. Pinar’s adaptation of Aoki’s account highlighted the barriers Aoki and others faced in becoming teachers, barriers that are not necessarily the same today, but that many students still encounter in different forms.

As a teacher now, my focus lies in providing multimodal learning experiences and choice for all learners in French Immersion classrooms. More students are leaving the program because they struggle or lack necessary support. My own experience convinces me that students should receive the support they need regardless of the program they choose. No student should be deterred from participating due to their support requirements.

Moving forward, I plan to delve deeper into these insights and apply them actively in my personal and professional practice. My goal is to foster continuous growth and contribute significantly to creating supportive environments within French Immersion classrooms.